The tradition of the Feurich family working with pianos goes back to the 18th century. In 1851 Julius Gustav Feurich, the son and grandson of skilled piano technicians, founded the Pianofortefabrik FEURICH in Leipzig, Germany as an expansion of his family’s instrument making business. He acquired the trade registration for just one Gold Mark.
Julius was particularly forward looking in his conceptions of piano design. His first uprights were especially resonant for their size because, from the very beginning they were supplied with an under damper action, while other German manufacturers did not begin using this modern innovation until around 50 years later.
Feurich’s enterprise grew rapidly and around the turn of the 20th century the company proudly maintained a huge factory with 360 workers producing 1200 uprights and 600 grands annually. They even had a concert hall where famous pianists of the day performed on their instruments.
Sadly, during the Second World War the manufacturing plant was completely destroyed. Nevertheless, gradually, in the 1950’s the firm rebounded, endeavoring to rebuild its former world-class reputation. However, the partitioning of Germany made the situation increasingly difficult. In December 1959, the company was expropriated by the communist regime and business began to decline. After the company and its assets were seized by the government of the DDR there was only one alternative - to escape to West Germany.
Julius Hermann Feurich, the fourth generation, set up a new home for Feurich instruments at a production complex in Langlau, Middle Franconia, Bavaria. Since then the company has accomplished as firm a business foundation as it had in pre-war years. Since 1993, the company achieved full autonomy, building a new factory in Gunzenhausen, Middle Franconia. From this center, the famous Feurich instruments are exported to customers all over the world.